Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Quote I am Beginning to Believe

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." Will Durant

(To offer perspective, and hopefully convince any passing reader that I am truly not governed by racist intentions, I will illustrate how I came to be concerned about and involved with politics.)

I began the year 2008 as a music student at The University of Louisiana at Lafayette, and a struggling file clerk for a medical mal practice lawyer whose firm didn’t begin to pay enough. It was the end of my sophomore year and I was drifting further and further from the cookie-cutter mold of a good student, because I simply didn’t want to be one anymore. In hindsight, it was no surprise that I chose to cut my losses. With losses cut and job quit, I still didn’t go directly home from school. My aunt had picked me up and helped me move out of a rental house, she then made the mistake of saying “You can stay with me as long as you want to.” So I did. I stayed with my aunt in her crowded house with two of my favorite kids in the world for an entire month. During that month I did a few things, mainly cleaning, cooking, and watching the news, lots of it. All news channels were broadcasting almost around the clock coverage of the all out war between Senators Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama. I was beginning to pull for Sen. Clinton, because she was a woman, and at the time, I thought that would be cool. I wasn’t the least bit concerned about the Republican candidate, due to the news coverage or lack thereof. During my extended stay Sen. Clinton lost the Democratic nomination to Sen. Obama, I was incredibly disappointed, but I kept watching. My opinion of Sen. Obama started at nothing, I had no idea who he was and subsequently didn’t care much. The added benefit was given to Sen. Obama by leaving out a natural disdain he accumulated for ruining my dreams of girls finally “officially” ruling the world. So with the proverbial heavy sigh I began to take a vested interest in the 2008, Presidential Campaign.

Come back again to get: "The rest of the story."

1 comment:

  1. The social upheavel of the 60's is now popular culture--wich means such destruction was a success.

    ReplyDelete